If you upgrade SQL Server 2012 by installing Service pack 1 (SP1), you may encounter following popup when Visual studio solution with “SQL Server Database Projects” is opened:
Unable to Open Database Project in Visual Studio 2012:
This version of SQL Server Data Tools is not compatible with the database run time components installed on this computer.
To fix this problem you need to download and install SQL Server Data Tools update
1. Once downloaded, run the file “SSDTSetup.exe”, you will see following screen.
2. Read and agree the terms and conditions and click on Install button.
3. Installation will start. It will download some files and install them.
4. It will take some time for downloading required files depends upon your internet connection.
5. Once it finishes, you need to reboot your system.
6. Click “Restart” to reboot your system.
7. Once restarted, open the project. You will see that “SQL Server Database Projects” is loaded. If not, migrate the database projects, it will solve your problem.